Patents & Awards
"Clarinet" Linestage ($129 kit/2) Order now!
The Clarinet vacuum tube linestage employs a very musical SRPP topology, which provides both high
linearity and low output impedance. Construction is solid and sonics are superb, easily competing
with units many times its cost. Components are of the highest quality, no corners were cut in this
design. The Clarinet is very accommodating to tube rolling so you can tune sonics to your taste.
Three inputs and two outputs (one for subwoofer) provide the flexibility you need for most systems.
Balance and volume controls round out the system.
Expert DIYers can build this preamplifier themselves. The half-kit
version will cost you approximately $700 in raw parts (this ain't no discount design). Use parts
from your existing stock or upgrade to exotic and other boutique parts. The universal type power
transformer accomodate worldwide operation.
Read this review
from audio asylum, another one, and some actual customer testimonials.
Completed Circuit Board
- All vacuum tube signal path
- Pure Class A single-ended amplifier stages
- No feedback
- SRPP circuit for linearity and low output impedance
- Vacuum tube B+ rectification
- DC heaters
- Dual outputs (one for subwoofer)
- Single box design
|Output Impedance||3k ohm|
|Bandwidth (-3dB)||10Hz to 100kHz|
|Distortion||0.08% @1kHz @1Vrms|
|Size||7.25" x 11.65" (PCB)|
|Input Voltage||100V, 110V, 120V, 200V, 220V, 240V|
|Tubes||12AU7 (ECC82) x 2, 5Y3 x 1||
"The Clarinet preamplifier is agile, detailed, and warm without being euphonic. It has excellent
soundstaging, tonal balance, presence, and palpability. It is far better than any of the other kit preamplifiers
I have heard to date, and is worth your serious consideration. Tube rollers will enjoy this preamp, as the
differences between good Telefunken, Amperex, Mazda, and other 12AU7/ECC82s are quite apparent. Really good
ones will make this preamp sing." - Kevin Kennedy
The Clarinet not only sounds superb, it has impeccable measurements too. Below is the 10kHz square wave
performance. Very fast and clean, no ringing or instability. The distortion is clearly 2nd order in nature
with very little odd harmonic content.
- The Clarinet brings phenomenal texture and emotion to the music, and generates shocking depth in my system. Well
worth a look, if you are hunting an affordable tube based line stage that will bring out the best in the rest of your
- Thought you might like to know that everything went fine with the Clarinet. The enclosure is really nice and
better than you described. I am auditioning it now and my first impression is - smooth. I bought the Clarinet with
confidence because I really liked your design/quality of the Bugle.
- First off, of all the preamps I've tried in my system the Clarinet is hands down the best. Listening to it
last night was one of those "jaws agape" experiences for me....incredible clarity, detail retrieval like nothing
I've experienced in my system, midrange texture and tonality that makes you stop and replay passages just to
confirm your initial impressions. The Clarinet is an all-around performer...I love it.
- I popped in one of my familiar CDs and all I can say is Wow, what a great sounding amplifier!
- I did not expect the Clarinet to sound as airy and open as my purely passive preamp. In fact It probably is
not quite as open and large a soundfield, but it is a hell of a lot more dynamic and has great slam. In this way
I think the Clarinet is superior to the purely passive and the buffered passive preamps I enjoyed during the
last 20 years. Dang Jim you designed a fine line stage for an affordable price. It really rocks the joint.
- The sound is transparent, wide soundstage, and excellent PRAT.
- BTW this Clarinet kicks ass! I have never thought this much sound could be available for such a resonable
investment of time and money. I am in hogs heaven to be sure.